A.K.A.  HAVERTOWN PCP SITE (N.P.L. 542)
A.K.A.  TCE  HAVERTOWN SITE

Michael H. Levin, Ph.D.
www.EnvironResearchAssoc.com

From 1947 - 1991 National Wood Preservers (NWP) operated a wood preservation facility at a site east of the gum factory site that Haverford acquired by condemnation through Eminent Domain.  About nine (9) different chemical compounds were mixed with diesel oil and impregnated into wood in a pressurized charge vessel.  The preservatives themselves, as well as diesel oil, spread onto the soil and settled into the ground water beneath the site then flowing generally east with groundwater toward West Chester Pike in the valley of Naylor’s Run beneath about 77 houses in the vicinity of Rittenhouse Circle.

(read more…)